Bienvenido! Welcome! Thanks for coming to the fiesta. Today I’d like to share with you a post in my new series “Fiesta Favourites!”
A delicious meal that is really quick and easy to throw together is Tostadas. If you’ve never had a tostada, it’s kind of like a taco – only flat.
When I was about 9 years old, my parents took me to a Mexican restaurant while we were on vacation. I’d never had Mexican food and was not very adventurous – I ordered a Casa Burger (it was pretty much a regular hamburger).
About a year or so later, while on vacation we again went to a Mexican restaurant. In case you’re wondering, we only went to Mexican restaurants while on vacation because there were none anywhere around where we lived. In fact, at that time I don’t even think homemade tacos were a familiar sight yet.
Anyway, back at the restaurant my parents convinced me to try a meal that was more “Mexican”. I settled on something that didn’t sound too strange; I ordered a tostada. I really liked it and have never looked back. Over the years, I got much more courageous and ventured into more exciting dishes, but I am always happy to return to my first love – the tostada.
Pictured on the left is the Charras brand tostadas that we buy. They come in 3 flavours, but we like chipotle best. These tostadas are much less expensive than buying the boxed taco shells that most people are familiar with (you know the ones in the yellow box that they advertise on tv). Also, if you compare the ingredients, you’ll probably find a lot of things that are difficult or almost impossible to pronounce on the yellow boxed variety that aren’t in these. Just something to consider…
Just like tacos, even picky eaters will be happy because they can customize it to their own tastes by choosing their favourite toppings. As my little story above showed, even I can attest to that!
Another advantage is each person can add different sauces or salsas to adjust the level of heat to their own liking (mild with maybe just a little kick for me, and extra spicy but not set your mouth on fire hit for hubby).
Here are some suggestions to make your Tostadas delicious:
Tostada – Topping Ideas
- Ground Meat with Taco Seasoning (Beef, Chicken/Turkey, Pork)
- Shredded or cubed cooked chicken (Deli Whole Roasted ones from the grocery store work great)
- Fajita Marinated Chicken
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork or Salsa Chicken (recipes coming soon!)
- Pinto or Black Beans, cooked or Refried or Not-so-Refried Beans
- Favourite Salsa and/or Hot Sauce
- Diced Avocado or Guacamole (recipe for my homemade version coming soon!)
- Grated Cheese (ex. Cheddar, Monterey Jack)
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomato
- Finely chopped onions (we like green/spring onions)
- Diced, Raw Bell Pepper (we like red)
- anything else you think might be tasty!
I’m having Tostadas for dinner tonight! How about you?