It’s turning out to be a pretty hot week around here (I’m talking about the weather we’ve been having). All of you summer heat lovers probably love the HOT weather, but hubby and I… not so much! If we had our way, we’d gladly give up the two extremes of snowy, cold winter and sweltering hot summer. We’ll take moderate, balmy spring and fall – Thank you VERY MUCH!!
When it gets warm like this. I have little desire to eat let alone COOK. Dinner is likely to be later in the evening and consist of sandwiches and/or salad. Even a bowl of cereal might make it onto the “menu”! I try to avoid making anything that requires the oven to be turned on.
I’m so thankful for small/countertop appliances when it gets this hot. Hubby made a fresh loaf of bread in the breadmaker last night. In the summer he often just uses the dough setting and then makes rolls or buns in the oven, but not when it’s this hot!
We bought this great little toaster oven on sale a few months ago. It’s been taking up space on the counter, but I hardly ever think of using it. I’m not used to having one, so it doesn’t really cross my mind. Lately, with not wanting to heat up the kitchen, I’ve found a few uses for it.
Last night we had one of our go-to meals when we want something simple and easy – Chicken Finger Salad. I just make up a huge salad with whatever we have in the veggie crisper and add some cooked, sliced chicken fingers, some croutons. Choose your own dressing! We use store bought.
The photo (above) is one of hubby’s jazzed up salads with all the fixings! I think it’s the only time we ever bought chicken nuggets (I like the strips/fingers a lot better).
Chicken Finger Salad
2-4 Chicken Fingers per person (homemade or store bought) OR use Chicken Nuggets
Choose whatever you have/like:
- Baby Spinach
- Onion (we like green/spring)
- Carrots/Baby Carrots (grated or sliced or chopped)
- Bell Pepper (red is our favourite)
- Croutons (optional but tasty!)
- Grated Cheese (hubby likes to add this)
- Bacon Bits (one of hubby’s vices, me: “Blech! Simulated Bacon”)
- Salad Dressing (your choice; again homemade or store bought. I like something creamy with this salad)
- Cook your chicken fingers/strips (in a toaster oven if you can!). You can use Chicken Nuggets too but I prefer to use strips that are all-white meat.
- While the chicken is cooling a bit, prepare your salad.
- Slice your chicken strips into bite-size chunks and toss into salad.
- Serve with your favourite toppings and dressing.
Simple and Delicious!
If you’re looking for some inspiration check out my Pinterest board –
Food! Soup, Salad & Sandwiches:
What do you serve for dinner when it’s too hot to cook?