Yesterday, I shared the menu for my mother-in-law’s Fiesta Favourites! Birthday Dinner. I wanted to come up with a side dish that was a little different, using a dressing that didn’t come out of a bottle. After perusing the internet, I decided to make this Mexican Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing .
Mexican Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing
This Mexican Bean Salad provide a lovely combination of colours, textures and flavours. It’s even better the next day! The Citrus Dressing is quite versatile and could be used on a garden or taco salad as well.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) whole-kernel corn, drained (rinse if not low-salt)
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional or use cilantro)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 TBSP orange juice
- 3 TBSP lime juice (I use bottled, but feel free to use freshly squeezed)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 TBSP honey
- 3/4 Tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper (dash of each, or to taste)
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and mix into salad.
- Chill until ready to serve and let the flavours of the dressing combine with the ingredients (about one hour).
Are you in the mood for something a little different tonight? Why not try this tasty side dish?